Canon MP620 error 5100

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The printer is showing error 5100 and making a bumping noise as it prints. I have 1. cleaned the timing strip.2. reloaded latest drivers. 3. replaced all carts that had topfill plugs in. 4. pressed down purge pads they seem to go down ok then spring back up, but not protruding above frame.

Yesterday had to reload 1 computer from system memory but cannot see that has any connection. Sounds a mechanical malfunction.

Any ideas anybody ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
barfl2 said:
The printer is showing error 5100 and making a bumping noise as it prints. I have 1. cleaned the timing strip.2. reloaded latest drivers. 3. replaced all carts that had topfill plugs in. 4. pressed down purge pads they seem to go down ok then spring back up, but not protruding above frame.

Yesterday had to reload 1 computer from system memory but cannot see that has any connection. Sounds a mechanical malfunction.

Any ideas anybody ?
OK a bit late but here goes..

Sometimes one of your cartridges can be causing it, (Sticking up)
I know you have tried that before but try it again.

Put the print carriage in the middle of the printer and pull the power plug,
then move the print head manually yourself from side to side to replicate the bumping sound and its location.

Another alternative is to enter service mode and reset your waste pad counter, thats a long shot but it may work..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that the MP620 and the MP640 are so similar that the service manual for the MP640 could be useful. Link here: http://www.bendata.de/Downloads/Canon/mp640_e.pdf . See page 11/54 for error 5100. It indicates a problem with printhead carriage movement. So in addition to the test suggested by The Hat and tests and cleaning you have already done, I suggest checking for foreign matter like scraps of paper and other things that could block movement of parts.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I threw away a New Old Stock iP4700 after it was stored for 2 years. I bought it new old stock and put away. Then when I brought it out to use and set up. That code kicked in. Brand new printer..too. Sealed Box. I have thrown out an MP970 with that same code as well....that was a new "used" machine off a lot purchase. Same story for an MP830 from that same lot. When Canons fail with this code, there is something that has gone wrong with the mechanism in the purge pad area. Exactly what? I could not determine but I never had and luck fixing it after that code showed up.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
I think that the MP620 and the MP640 are so similar that the service manual for the MP640 could be useful. Link here: http://www.bendata.de/Downloads/Canon/mp640_e.pdf . See page 11/54 for error 5100. It indicates a problem with printhead carriage movement. So in addition to the test suggested by The Hat and tests and cleaning you have already done, I suggest checking for foreign matter like scraps of paper and other things that could block movement of parts.
Thanks found that link I had already looked for debris and disconnected power and pushed carriage from end to end without replicating the bumping noise. I thought the friction to move the carriage quite high, but I do not know what is normal. Any lubrication needed? To answer The Hats suggestion I pulled and reinserted all carts, if you run your finger along the tops they are not completely level but some variation is likely.

PeterBj idea is in the right area, as you know visibility is not that easy on these AIO's. Sometimes I get the 5100 warning and it tells me to turn printer off and on again other times it will print without the warning. For example I have printed out the 2 pages on this topic which it did but with the noise on each page.

Something is catching somewhere. Only just got the Magenta going again with a OEM cart after cart flow problems with 3 refilled OEM,s Freedom/German/Topfill. Nearly bought another one on E-bay lost it by 16p. Perhaps its me but these Canons seem pretty fragile.

Next task how to get into service mode need to look at PeterBj link. Anyway thanks for the support will keep trying. I have seen an reference to the cleaning pads wiper blade protruding and to push it down. Is this something else or the complete pad within its frame?. Because I have already tried pushing each pad down which it does and comes back up again.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to mikling's post other mechanical problems can also cause this error, especially in the purge area. I have had a similar error with a pixma 4000. I cleaned the purge pad area with Q-tips, and pressed down on the purge pads. They clicked into place and stayed down. Before the cleaning they would not stay down. Maybe your printer is suffering from something similar? It is some years ago, so I don't remember details and error messages.

From service mode the EEPROM info gives a lot of info about the printer, including a list of latest errors, both operator call errors and service call errors. For entering service mode see page 39/54 of the service manual. If you are using 32 bit windows any of the service tools should work, if you are using 64 bit windows then you should use one of the newer versions like v3200 or v3400.

For interpretation of the EEPROM printout, see this post and my answer: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=60894#p60894 .You find lists of error messages in the service manual on pages 8/54 to 13/54 inclusive.

I think the cartridge clearance of these printers is very low, so in case you are top filling the cartridges, only low profile plugs plus aluminium tape should be used for sealing the cartridges. The lipped plugs might jam against the printer casing and cause problems or damage.

The service tool thread starts here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7416&p=1 see post #1 for links and instructions for use.

Edit: If the cause of the problems is in the purge area, this post by Tandberg might be useful: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61317#p61317 Note two small "wiper blades" that clean the underside of the printhead. IIRC these wiper blades were stuck in gunk on my pixma 4000. After cleaning the printer was OK again.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
5268_img_0001.jpg
After a lot of messing about looking at the manual changing carts, poking the purge pads which do not seem that dirty. Any pressure they tilt downwards and on release come back up, this I assume is their normal position?.

Before attempting to get into service mode I checked the MP640 manual and printed off several pages likely to be of interest. A copy of the scan is shown above and if you look carefully various sections either do not line up or are distorted. This is the first time I have noticed this as I have printed about 30 pages of text trying to get to the bottom of this malfunction, and apart from the bumping noise, not noticed any text distortion.

Could the paper feed have any bearing? done roller/platen cleaning without effect. Been printing without any further 5100 warnings or loss of function.

I have disconnected power several times and slid carriage along without any sign of obstruction. Whilst I had it at the R/H end tried feeling under the plastic cover on the L/H end for anything stuck underneath but seems fine. The Purge area seems the most suspect. I do not know how the pads should appear i.e. depressed below surface or flush which is where mine are. Also Tandberg in his post mentioned Wiper blades where are they?. There are small pieces of plastic sticking up in front of the purge pads and I wiped them with a Q tip.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Further to my last post, I have examined more closely the printed output and text is being scrambled on some pages. Also downloaded the Service Tool via the link in Tudor post but cannot get any of them to work. They are all greyed out. Tried compatibility XP service pack2 windows 7 tried running compatibily checks via windows 7 64 but nothing seems to work.

I do not know what the correct one is for my MP620 but the 1050 version matches that shown in the MP640 manual.

Not looking good, this problem has come from out of the blue, no warnings of problems

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service tool v3200 should work with both 32 and 64 bit windows, see this post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=58769#p58769 The older versions of the service tool(v1050, v1074, and v2000) only work with 32 bit windows. If you want to use v1050 you could try to borrow a laptop running 32 bit windows. See this post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=56144#p56144 . I have tested v1050, v1074, v2000, v3200, and v3400 with Windows XP, Vista, and 7, and all versions work with the three windows versions, but I only have 32 bit Windows, so I cannot test with 64 bit Windows.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
@barfl2:
Are you sure the timing strip is clean and has no scratch, ink or fibers on it? Look carefully on far left and far right.

Latest posts