Canon MP560 not recognizing cartridges

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought another Canon printer from a thrifty store. I know this is a chancy purchase, because the store has an as is no return policy. The printer is a Canon a MP560 and the previous owner refilled non-OEM cartridges. I cleaned the Printer head, and I put all new cartridges- 220BK, and the other four 221BK, M, C, and Y (these cartridges are G & G). I have not connected the printer to a computer, and I get a message on the printer screen U043 and it looks like the printer is not recognizing any of the five cartridges. I then clean the back of the printer head with alcohol and a q tip, and I get the same message U043. Here are my questions.
1. Do I have another bad printer head?
2. Did or could the previous own disable something because he did not have a resetter so he could print?
3. And if something was disabled, how would I go about printing now?
I edited the code U045 to read U043

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
if your 220BK is other cartridges other than the G&G cartridges, they may have different chips. And that is one reason why the printer doesn't recognized the cartridges. As these are compatible chips and not original canon chips, sometime they must work as a group (same chips from same chip manufacturers) in order for them to be recognized. Different compatible cartridges manufacturer may use different chip manufacturer source.

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin said:
if your 220BK is other cartridges other than the G&G cartridges, they may have different chips. And that is one reason why the printer doesn't recognized the cartridges. As these are compatible chips and not original canon chips, sometime they must work as a group (same chips from same chip manufacturers) in order for them to be recognized. Different compatible cartridges manufacturer may use different chip manufacturer source.
The five cartridges came as a complete set and are all G&G.
Al

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Did you check the any manual to see what does the U045 code mean for your printer? If you do install the software and connecting to the printer, does the view status from the Maintenance tab of software provide any more details to the error message U045?

Because apart from unrecognized cartridges, there is also code to indicated faulty/unrecognized printhead installed. So you might like to look into what that error message U045 mean for your model.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Big_Al said:
I bought another Canon printer from a thrifty store. I know this is a chancy purchase, because the store has an as is no return policy. The printer is a Canon a MP560 and the previous owner refilled non-OEM cartridges. I cleaned the Printer head, and I put all new cartridges- 220BK, and the other four 221BK, M, C, and Y (these cartridges are G & G). I have not connected the printer to a computer, and I get a message on the printer screen U045 and it looks like the printer is not recognizing any of the five cartridges. I then clean the back of the printer head with alcohol and a q tip, and I get the same message U045. Here are my questions.
2. Did or could the previous own disable something because he did not have a resetter so he could print?
I dont know if this solution will help you or not but give it a go anyway.
Remove all of the cartridges close lid then turn off the printer.

Now switch on your printer raise the lid and insert all of the cartridges and close the lid again.
Wait a minute or so for your error to appear (U045) then press the flashing button and hold for five seconds then release,
hopefully your printer will then detect all of the newly installed cartridges.
Best of luck with it..:)

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Big_Al said:
I bought another Canon printer from a thrifty store. I know this is a chancy purchase, because the store has an as is no return policy. The printer is a Canon a MP560 and the previous owner refilled non-OEM cartridges. I cleaned the Printer head, and I put all new cartridges- 220BK, and the other four 221BK, M, C, and Y (these cartridges are G & G). I have not connected the printer to a computer, and I get a message on the printer screen U045 and it looks like the printer is not recognizing any of the five cartridges. I then clean the back of the printer head with alcohol and a q tip, and I get the same message U045. Here are my questions.
I dont know if this solution will help you or not but give it a go anyway.
Remove all of the cartridges close lid then turn off the printer.

Now switch on your printer raise the lid and insert all of the cartridges and close the lid again.
Wait a minute or so for your error to appear (U045) then press the flashing button and hold for five seconds then release,
hopefully your printer will then detect all of the newly installed cartridges.
Best of luck with it..:)
I tried what you suggested and I still be the message that the cartridges are not recognized, but I notice the message at the top of the printers LCD screen- U043 not U045. I must have read the LCD wrong before- it reads U043
When I connected and install the printer to a computer, the computer says that and list all five cartridges as not being recognized.
Sorry for the code mixup.
Al
PS I will edit my first post to correct the code,

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I give up. I got lights to come on the cartridges, and to print all colors but not pigment black. There is no hint that pigment black should be printing. I did some printer head cleanings, and still no hint of pigment black. Now the printer will not print again, and no lights on the cartridges, and the U043 notice that all five cartridges are not recognized. I bought this to give to my daughter, so now that idea is out. She wanted an all-in-one easy to refill printer, so I will keep looking. I am giving up on this printer, and thank you all for help and suggestion. I guess it is just as well because I didn't have a resetter for these cartridges.
Al