Canon MP550 from Trash with B200 Error problem

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes please report your results using Lukasz' masking method. I would like to learn more about it and I wonder if it can also be used to determine if the print head, the logic board, or both is/are defective?

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Back from trying Pin Masking Method.
- 1st of all I masked the 2 pins up and down (PGBK) as showed by Lukasz on the thread.
Installed the PH in and powered up.
Nothing changed.
B200 Error Message again.
- 2nd I masked the CLI pins
Same situation
B200 Error Message.
- 3rd, masked both (PGBK) and CLI pins.
Nothing changed!!
Still B200 message.
As I said before, I tried the printhead from my MP620 on the MP550 and the printer worked fine.
I know I took a risk as you replied...
Installing the PH on the MP620 again didn't seems to damage anything and the Printer is working very fine.
I just got the impression that the MP550 Printhead burned out...and is out of order.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
- 3rd, masked both (PGBK) and CLI pins.
Nothing changed!!
Still B200 message.
As I said before, I tried the printhead from my MP620 on the MP550 and the printer worked fine.
That is very strange, that masking all HV pins doesn't clear error, when printer itself seems to be unaffected. But that confirms faulty printhead with no doubt.
I guess printer was in user mode all the time?

I have tested this method on QY6-0080 printheads, and even performed "dry run" (empty ink tanks) test to determine page yeld based on chip counter :)

Ł.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
I guess printer was in user mode all the time?
Yes it was...
I hoped for a short while that's something will happened (I plugged the power in with the door open)... Like a reset or something like that... but in fact the B200 Error Message came back.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
I'm cleaning my MP620 and try to clean the purge unit with "pharmacyst solution".
and here it's what's happening...
2014-08-26 12.44.37.jpg

the colour pad is keeping the solution and the black one is loosing...
Maybe a problem with a purge unit system?
Any idea??
Just to know, as I put the cartridge in and push on the power plug, I heard a very bad sound coming from the carriage unit...
Huuuu....

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The cleaning solution should stay on both purge pads, maybe a hose has become disconnected?

Re the print head carriage: Could the timing strip have become dirty with ink? You could try cleaning it with a piece of soft tissue paper moistened with pharmacists cleaning solution.

zepat

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon MP620
Hello PeterBJ
I cleaned already the timing strip and the carriage unit wheel with some distilled water... afraid that the pharmacist containing isopropyl alcohol could damage the timing strip.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have used pharmacists cleaning solution and window cleaner with ammonia to clean the timing strip. Neither caused any damage to the timing strip. But of course you should be careful not to scratch or tear the strip.

I think the strip is made from polyester and the fine markings are laser engraved so I think there is no ink to dissolve with solvents.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have made a test with a timing strip from a defunct iP4000. I have tried cleaning it with pharmacists cleaning solution, Ajax window cleaner with ammonia, denatured ethanol 93% and a thinner for epoxy paints that contains approximately 3 parts Xylene to 1 part of Butanol.

Pharmacists cleaning solution and the Ajax window cleaner worked well and didn't damage the strip. The alcohol and the paint thinner didn't damage the strip, but were not effective in cleaning ink mist off the strip. This is to be expected as the inks used in the printer are water based.

Here is a section of the timing strip that has been subject to all 4 cleaners. It can be seen that the vertical striping is not damaged, so I can also recommend pharmacists cleaning solution and the Ajax for this purpose.

Canon service manuals recommend the use of isopropyl alcohol to clean the timing strip or timing disk if they should be accidentally stained with lubricating grease, so alcohol should be harmless. But a water based cleaner works better for removing ink in my opinion.

Renset 600dpi.jpg

Last edited: