Canon MP530 - resolution for 2nd error msg?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I seem to remember the whole "I refilled all of the cartridges at once and then put them back in to get this error" issue raised its ugly head right at the beginning of the Canon chipped cartridge saga.

As stratman said the hypothesis at the time was to recommend a few things including:
- try replacing one OEM cartridge with a new one
- get printhead into replace cartridge(s) position, yank power lead, do refilling and replace BEFORE replacing power lead
- try to avoid refilling all cartridges at once.

I could be wrong though as the error actually seems to indicate the problem is more with the printers sensors so I'd actually recommend you run down the following first.
1. Check the cartridges are clean and don't have any ink smears over any areas, especially the chips or prisms (the one under the spongeless part of the cart and the one on the front of the cartridge
2. Check for any dust, crap, etc... down the back of the chips (you are using OEM/original cartridges and just refilling aren't you?). Blow any crap from behind the cartridges. Also check the chip contacts are clean.
3. Check the sensor points in the printer for any junk, crap, etc... and clean away as before
4. Check that the chips haven't moved and that they are seated properly.
5. Check the little wires in the carriage unit are clean and that none are looking bent or out of alignment.

That may resolve the problem as my guess is that your error is related more to the printer not being able to sense the chips and/or getting the correct info from the sensors rather than the rest.

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, I filled all 5 at the same time - but only two have reached the point where the system has offered to bypass ink level monitoring - the other three are flashing (but full now that they have been refilled). Yes, these are the original carts so I have not messed w/the chips at all other than to clean them (gently w/alcohol on a q-tip).

I will try the aforementioned steps when I return home and let you know how they worked.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the procedure suggested by tigerwan did not work. My wife ran it and says the "Enable Status Monitor" was already deselected.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Try to unplug all cartridges and plug back in one at a time to see what the printer will say about the one that is plugged in. This forces the printer to find that the other 4 are missing and it should report that correctly. It should also report the one plugged in being correctly detected (the one that has not reached the empty state). This may give you some hint about what is wrong.

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Okay, back home w/the printer (for a couple of days, then another long road trip).

When I power on the printer the readout (on the printer) says: "Check Ink U150 8Bk". This comes up before I try to print anything. When I open it up the 1st (8BK) and 3rd (8Y) carts are flashing. The 2nd (5PGBK) is on solid. The 4th (8M) and 5th (8C) are out. All have plenty of ink in them. Ink level checking for the 8M and 8C have previously been bypassed.

I took the left 3 carts out (the ones w/lights - either flashing or solid); error msg read: Chk Ink U043 8BK 5BK Y

I opened it back up, inserted the 8Y. It started flashing immediately. error msg read: Chk Ink U043 8BK 5BK

I opened it back up, inserted the 5PGBK. It lit up solid immediatly. error msg read: Chk Ink U043 8BK [NOTE: turns out this in not an original cart. my wife replaced it fairly recently on one of my many extended absences]

I opened it back up, inserted the 8BK. It started flashing immediately. error msg read: Chk Ink U043 8BK

I openend it back up and took out the 4th and 5th (8M) and (8C); error msg: Check Ink U043 M C

I opened it back up, inserted the 8M. It started flashing immediately. error msg read: Check Ink U043 C

I opened it back up 8M was not flashing, inserted the 8C. It started flashing immediately. error msg read: Chk Ink U043 8BK

I opened it back up: 1st and 3rd flashing, 2nd on solid, 4th, 5th out (same as original)

closed it back up, tried to print, same/original error msg on monitor (had to cancel print job)

decided to swap 1st and 5th just for the heck of it (8BK with 8C). error msg read: Check Ink 8BK C; when I opened up the printer the 1st cart (the improperly positioned 8C that had previously been bypassed in it's old/correct position) was lights-out, the improperly positioned 8BK that had not been bypassed was flashing. This printer is smart and tracks individual carts somehow.

That's my continuing saga....

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BTW, I checked the contacts and the chips. All clean and secure, no obvious problems in that area. Problems appears to be w/the 8BK tank ?? That one has not been bypassed and is full (after refill) but flashing.

10 minutes later....late breaking::: removed/replaced 8BK one more time. different msg: INK LOW 8BK Y then flashes to a different screen: INK VOLUME UNKNOWN M C

Tried to print ..... SUCCESS!!! very confused at this point ....

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my ip4500, I tried every trick that was mentioned until I bought a new genuine cli-8 (can be any color)
and the printer stopped bothering me. You can put in a used cli-8 but have not reached the end ie: still have the monitor function
and your printer should keep on printing for a while.

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, it may come to that. I live overseas and they're not easy to find here and not many ship to APO.

At present, it is still working fine. Just wish I knew what happened to make it start working again.

Appreciate all the assistance offerred by the forum.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a Canon MP530 printer and plan to refill the cartridges. I'm trying to do a little planning in advance and would like to know if there is any specific instructions for the MP530 as to the exact procedure to override the ink monitiring. Would appreciate any instructions particuloar to the MP530.

Thanks.

Binkie