Canon MP530 - resolution for 2nd error msg?

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Greetings. I own a Canon MP530 and have just started refilling cartridges to save $$$ (am a novice refiller). My situation appears to be somewhat similar to others noted on this forum (which I am new to), but I havent found the definitive final answer.

My situation is that I refilled 2 of my 5 carts after getting ink low" messages on them. Subsequently, for these 2 carts, I rcvd software warnings that ink level monitoring would be disabled; I acknowledged it by holding down the reset button for 5 seconds each time. Anyway, after bypassing those 2 carts, the printer worked fine for that session - but when I powered it up the next day, it gave me a new error message - "ink tank errors have occurred" .... "some ink tanks cannot be recognized" - the pictoral showed all 5 tanks empty. Well, it just won't let me print at all. If I open up the printer to reset the carts (the lights on the 2 reset carts are out when I do), they flash initially when I reseat them but it just ends up turning them off again and giving me the same error code. I'm in a no-print do-loop.

So, when all is said and done, has anyone (a common user w/out high-priced chip resetting systems) found a way to bypass this "second" error message?

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry, should have included that the MP530 uses CLI-8 carts

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Which cartridges did you refill and what method of refilling did you use?

Are all cartridges seated properly and in their correct slots on the printhead?

Are all contact points and chip surfaces free of dirt, dust and ink?

How old is your MP530?

Was there an error code alphanumeric given in the error message?

Hang in there. Hopefully someone here can help you to get printing again soon.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Usually you can get past this by simply continuing to hold the reset/cancel button for another 5 - 6 seconds.. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat for each cartridge...

Have you tried this?

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all efforts to assist. Here's a pic of the error:

Refilled the 2 carts on the right side - yellow and blue I think (not presently at home).

The printer is around 2 years old, these are the original carts (chips not transferred).

The contacts appear to be clean and the carts properly seated.

There is a message that comes up on the printer itself, I'll check it when I have the opportunity, but it's not very descriptive (seemed generic - you have an ink problem).

Have not tried holding reset button again as it didn't ask/direct such. Will do so when I have opportunity.

Thanks again to all.

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry, must read more thoroughly....refill method was knock out ball on top, insert ink, reseal. Had used this method successfully several times on previous Canon printer that I owned. Thought the MP530 used the same ink carts - suprize! My old carts looked the same but didn't have chips. Live and learn.

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If unable to read the posted pic, the top screen says "Ink tank errors have occurred. Open the printer's cover and replace the ink tanks on which ink lamps are off" - when I do so, the only two that are off are the two I bypassed after refilling. When I reseat them their lights start blinking. The error msg does not reset though, and I have to cancel printing to close it and move on. I kinda expected to get the bypass screens again since the lights were flashing again but it has never come up. The next time I try to print the cycle repeats (same msg, same two cart lights out, etc.).

YesNoMaybe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BTW, I refilled all 5 carts at the same time. The other three hadn't reached the low level that the other two (that I've bypassed) had - they're flashing now as well when I open the lid to "reset" the two that I've bypassed. So, when I open the printer, the three on the left are flashing, the two on the right are not lit, and when I reseat the two on the right, all five are flashing.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

Start
Settings
Printers and Faxes
right click on your printer icon
click on "Printing Preferences"
in the dialog box, click on "Maintenance"
click on "View Printer Status"
in the dialog box, click on "Options"
then deselect the "Enable Status Monitor" option

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YesNoMaybe said:
BTW, I refilled all 5 carts at the same time.
So, you have refilled ALL the cartridges present in the printer. I have read several accounts where people could not print, having the same/similar situation as you, which was resolved by inserting a new Canon OEM cartridge or a partially factory filled OEM Canon cartridge that has never reached empty while in the printer. It seems like people insert a new OEM Canon PGI-5 pigmented black cartridge and the printer becomes usable again. Don't know if a different OEM cartridge would work. It just appears that the circuit requires a cartridge chip that has never been marked as empty.

If the above works, you will still have to do the 5 second reset button maneuver to override the CLI-8 cartridges as per usual. As long as you keep one factory functioning cartridge/chip then the printer works.

On the other hand, if tigerwan's suggestion works then no need to buy a new OEM cartridge. Never heard of his suggestion before but I hope it works. Since it can be easily reversed, I'd try it first.

Let us know if either of these tips help.