Canon mp 830 not printing magenta after replacing

saross

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon mp 830 pixama is not printing magenta after replacing all ink carts with canon carts. I don't use the color ink much because of the cost of replacement, but I do use grayscale often (3 to 6) times a week.

All of the color inks have been low or ran out over the last couple of months. I bought all 5 canon replacement carts at Sam's Club.

I had trouble with the printer "recognizing cyan" but after several times of taking it out and putting it back in it worked fine, but after a printing a document the magenta wasn't printing at all. We were leaving for vacation so I left it for a week and when I came home I found this forum and thought maybe my problem was bad chips in the carts so I returned them and replaced all 5 carts with new canon ones. Everything loaded fine but again no magenta. I did a nozzle check and no magenta at all. Everything else is fine. I did a couple of deep cleanings but still no magenta.

Do I have a clogged nozzle or printhead? Can I fix this myself without ruining my printer? I have had 3 canon printers over the years and I only got new ones when they made significant upgrades. I have been very happy with them except for the high price for ink.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Before trying to diagnose any print problems, you need to make sure your purge system is working. Follow the instructions in this link and report your findings.

In the mean time, don't print anything except nozzle checks until you get your magenta working or you could damage the nozzles.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'll also put my money on the purge system. After putting cleaner on the purge pad or even removing and washing it, it looks like foam but on Canon's it's rigid porous plastic, place water on the pad and start a cleaning cycle. It should suck the water out of the pad. Also I'd check the seals and bottom of the print head to make sure paper fibers and dried ink haven't broken the seal preventing a vacuum from forming enabling a cleaning cycle to work. You can have a functioning purge system but without a proper seal against the print head the cleaning cycle still won't work.

saross

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I tried what you suggested to clean the purge pads and the liquid (Windex) did dissipate after starting back up. I then did a nozzle check with these results. Still no Magenta. What do you suggest I try next?

PrinterNozzleCheck.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It looks like there is a tiny amount of magenta on the upper block which is a good sign if true.

I would suggest that you just keep putting Windex on the larger purge pad and do a normal cleaning cycle on the dye inks once per day. When it's done put some more Windex on the purge pad and let it sit until the next day. If you have a syringe, you could also put a couple drops of Windex on the inlet port for the magenta ink on the top of the print head. You will have to remove the cartridge to do this.

Also, leave the printer turned on all the time.

saross

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a try.