Canon MG 5540 compatable ink cartridges

Pariah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5540
Hi all

I have a Canon MG 5540 that I bought in the Middle East whilst I was working overseas and brought back to the UK. The magenta tank has ran out.

Canon recommended PGI 450/CLI 451 ink cartridges for this model in the ME but these are difficult to get in the UK as I assume this model wasn't sold there (it doesn't appear on the UK list..)

Can I use the PGI 550/CLI551 ink tanks which fit the UK MG5450 & 5550, and will I need to replace all tanks at once given the country ink code? Or has Canon tied the regional printer to regional ink tanks, thus preventing my use of locally available supplies?

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
.....Or has Canon tied the regional printer to regional ink tanks, thus preventing my use of locally available supplies?.....
Yes the printer is locked to Canon region 4 cartridges. Cartridges for Canon region 5 Europe will be rejected. Sadly this cannot be changed, so you will have to buy either OEM or compatible cartridges for your printer from Canon region 4, meaning Africa, Middle East and Russia.

Pariah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5540
Thanks Peter. That's unbelievable. I will take this up with Canon directly.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The regionalising of printers and ink cartridges allows different pricing in different parts of the world and prevents "grey" import from a "cheap" region to an "expensive" region. Compare the "Big Mac Index".

Pariah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5540
I'm aware that regional coding is common on certain products to prevent piracy. However, when I bought this printer it was not clearly indicated that it was fit for purpose only in the region of purchase. This is, in effect, piracy on the part of the manufacturer.

Pariah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5540
I thought you might be interested in my email exchange with a 'Canon Customer Service Representative' to date:

My initial email:

Hi
I cannot find an answer to the following question on your website:
I have a MG5540 printer. I bought this in KSA earlier this year when I was working there. It takes PGi450/CLi451 ink tanks
I am unable to source these in the UK. The equivalent appears to be the 550/551 series ink tanks.
Can I use the 550/551 tanks in a MG5540 printer. If not, where can I buy the recommended ink tanks.
Kind regards

The Customer

Canon Reply 1:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the Canon Store. The ink cartridges compatible with this printer are not available on the Canon Store, unfortunately. I advise you to use below link with which you might be able to find these items:

http://www.canon.co.uk/where_to_buy/for_home/canon_authorised_etailers/

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards, Rudolf

My reply:

Hi Rudolf

I spent more than an hour checking the links you emailed however these third parties do not stock the necessary cartridges for the MG5540 printer, given that it is Canons policy to regionally code printers and cartridges to maintain pricing differentials.

It appears that I have bought and subsequently shipped a printer from KSA on relocation that I will not be able to use elsewhere. It was not clearly stated at point of purchase that Canon regionally code their printers and I consider that Canon are in breach of my rights as a consumer.

Kindly advise as to how Canon intend to address this issue. I am unable to address this matter at point of purchase as I left Saudi Arabia four weeks ago.

Sincerely

Me

Canon reply 2:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the Canon Store. Unfortunately we do not support printers bought in Saudi Arabia. I advise you to follow below link and contact information:
http://www.canon-me.com/support/support_contacts/saudi_arabia.aspx

Kind Regards,

Rudolf

My reply 2:

Dear Rudolf

I am not satisfied with the responses that you have given me. I am expecting some kind of consumer service from Canon's representative, not diversion and time wasting.

I previously explained that I have left Saudi Arabia and I am expecting Canon worldwide to honour a duty of care to the consumer.

The printer in question (MG5540) is clearly shown on your European website along with the appropriate printer cartridges http://www.canon-europe.com/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_mg5540/

There is no obvious statement in the specifications for this printer that this printer or the cartridges are not available in Europe

I bought this printer in good faith in the ME and expect Canon to reciprocate on that agreement.

Kindly elevate this to a level that is able to either:

1: Provide me with the relevant printer cartridges

2: Provide a technical workaround

Sincerely yours

Me

Canon reply 3

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the Canon Store. I would like to help you with purchasing the correct cartridges for your printer, unfortunately the PGI-540 and CLI-541 cartridges are not available on our UK Canon Store. The fastest way to purchase these cartridges is through other e/retailers as mentioned below:

http://www.canon.co.uk/where_to_buy/for_home/canon_authorised_etailers/
http://www.canon.co.uk/where_to_buy/for_home/canon_consumables/

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Retard (I added that bit)

My reply 3:

Hi Rudolf

You appear to have trouble understanding my emails. I previously asked for you to elevate this matter to somebody who can address my issues, not waste my time.

You have already previously recommended that I try these third party sellers. I previously responded that they do not stock the 450 and 451 cartridges I need. You may think it smart and clever to send Canon customers around in circles but I do not.

Again: Elevate this matter to somebody who can direct me to a European stockist of these cartridges, or provide a technical workaround.

I will take this further by way of internet review, press and media comment and also write to the head of Consumer Relations for Canon in Europe if you continue to waste my time and fail to address the issues I am encountering.

Sincerely

Incandescent

Canon reply 4:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting the Canon Store.

Ink cartridges are only available in the region the printers are sold.

The reason for this is that the ink composition may differ depending on the region to better suit the environmental conditions in the area.

Because of this we do not have any ink available in Europe for a device meant for Saudi Arabia.

Only retailers importing the ink from the region will sell the compatible ink, but we are unable to provide any information about who this would be.

I would recommend buying a European printer which will be suitable for our climate, which will be delivered with a full set of inks.

Rudolf

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Pariah, that maybe all too well but do you know who you are actually complaining too.

Canon UK are not responsible for what Canon Saudi Arabia does, they are in fact a completely different franchise, as is Canon US.

When you moved regions you took the printer outside its warrantee area so Canon UK don’t have to deal with you and in fact have acted responsibly and fairly with you.

In a nutshell, you don’t have a leg to stand on, so you either buy 450/451 carts on line as suggested, or get yourself another printer, I am sorry to have to put it like this, but there is nothing you can do legally, it will be far cheaper to learn from the mistake than to pursue this any further and just move on. :th

I totally agree with you; it really sucks... :(

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I get The Hat's response and he is absolutely correct in his analysis.

However I do feel is is morally reprehensible that an international company such as Canon does not indicate on the box or purchase documentation that the operation of this specific product is limited by geographic location. Same thing used to happen with DVD players and disks many years ago until the public learned the work around.

Even worse is the ridiculous and moronic response from Canon's EU service reps. Sounds like some of our local political hacks explaining their latest screw-ups.

Pariah's requests for service seem reasonable and Canon's answers could be straight from a Monty Python script. You can't make this stuff up because the real world would reject it as verging on imbecility, which it is.

rant off/

rs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Pariah

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5540
@Pariah, that maybe all too well but do you know who you are actually complaining too.

Canon UK are not responsible for what Canon Saudi Arabia does, they are in fact a completely different franchise, as is Canon US.

When you moved regions you took the printer outside its warrantee area so Canon UK don’t have to deal with you and in fact have acted responsibly and fairly with you.

In a nutshell, you don’t have a leg to stand on, so you either buy 450/451 carts on line as suggested, or get yourself another printer, I am sorry to have to put it like this, but there is nothing you can do legally, it will be far cheaper to learn from the mistake than to pursue this any further and just move on. :th

I totally agree with you; it really sucks... :(

Hi Hat (boom boom, drummer joke)

I am aware that Canon UK have no legal obligation to address the issue. However, they represent the Canon brand and are my only point of contact at present.

This is not a warranty issue, but a group practise issue, whereby Canon knowingly market and sell printers worldwide that are designed not to accept ink in other regions. My complaint is that this is not stated clearly in any product data or specification at POS. I would not have bought this printer or shipped it back if I had known this.

I am unable to source 450/451 cartridges on line in Europe after an extensive Google. This is despite both printer and cartridge being listed on the Canon Europe web site.

If I could get the cartridges I would not have an issue.

My correspondence with Canon continues. Clearly I am getting nowhere with the email center idiot I have been corresponding with, so I am now writing to the Head of Canon Consumer Services.

I will certainly not purchase another Canon product in future until I receive some form of redress or a source for the cartridges.

Latest posts