Canon i960 Issue-recommended purge unit testing may NOT be adequate.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Compression is still very bad, lots of artifacts. Try setting scanner to higher resolution and crop the matrix grids. It appears that there's SOMETHING in the yellow matrix..is that true?

gigs95

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, I did another DIagnostic test because the one that I had scanned was several tests ago. There did appear to be something in the yellow matrix, but take a look at this one...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Your Cyan Nozzle Check is missing many lines in a periodic fashion. Sorry to say, that's typically the sign of a non-repairable electrical problem with the printhead. I'd look for another i960 printer on eBay, they come up many times a month. I've bought two there, and both worked fine. You can set up a automatic email from eBay for any postings that match "i960" that are listed under "printers"....

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Th only thing else I would try is to lightly clean the contacts on the back of the printhead with a pencil eraser and disconnect/reconnect the two ribbon cables from the internal circuit board. I would be surprised if these made a difference, though...

gigs95

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. If Trigger sends me the PDF file, I'd like to give it a try and then if all else fails, I will have to get a new one. I'm a little skeptical about buying a used printer since I don;t know the history behind it...Is there another printer with comparable quality that you would recommend?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I can't recommend a current printer, as I have enough spare parts to keep my i960 and i9900 going for the foreseeable future. Current models use "chipped" carts, which was the OEM's reaction to refillers (although "chip resetters" have become available for many models). So refillers are in a war of Electronic Counter Measures with the OEM's.

Perhaps someone else can speak up...but you should make your needs know. Photo's? Text only? Max print size? Refillable?

Wayne

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
gigs95,...The only way I can send you anything is if at first you send me an email with the request. That way I have your address such that I can send a response with an attachment. So click on my email and send me a note.

gigs95

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Trigger, I responded to your last email to me. Did you receive it? I'm still having a problem with this printer and after following your tests, I think it is the purge unit. Can this be repaired? If you can respond via email, i will get it quicker than on this forum. Thanks!!

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
gigs95,.... we have communicated via the internet email and I don't normally watch this web site anymore. Why didn't you send me an email response. The last note I got from you was on 8/11/2011. You must understand that I work on 15 projects per day and help dozens of people. At my age I can barely remember what I had for breakfast,..let alone an email from someone more than a week ago.

In reading our last communications, I gave you a pdf file to help you test your printhead and purge unit. I need you to repeat the blot test part of that functions and scan and send me the image of the blot test and the last nozzle test print for your printer. If in fact it proves that your purge unit is defectve,...yes it can be replaced and you can do it provided you have my detailed instructions. It does not take any special tools, or skills,..just a lot of patients and the ability to follow instructions. Even if you get stuck as some point,...you have my support to help you to proceed. You will esentially be my eys and fingers.

Bud