Canon i850 Printer issue?

bren924

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have just recently started having some quality issues on photo prints from my usually reliable Canon i850 printer. I noticed this problem after installing some new G&G ink cartridges, and before I replace those, wanted to get some second opinions on what might be causing this.

It looks as if the print head needs cleaning, but I have run both cleaning routines multiple times, and it doesn't seem to rectify the problem.

Here is a test print I have scanned in - if you look at the left edge and about an inch in from the right you will see my issue:

i850test1.jpg

Here is a closeup of the area an inch in from the right edge:

i850test2.jpg

And here's a closeup of the left edge:

i850test3.jpg

I've run about 25 8x10 photos like this, hoping maybe it would clear out on its own, but it hasn't, so I'm concerned there is either a problem with the cartridges, or with the printer.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
if you're talking about the little dribbles, my guess is that the flow of the ink is too easy which points to either wrong porosity specs of the foam in the cartridge or the ink viscosity is wrong..... either issue point to a "quality" issue with these chinese compatibles. I might be worng but just my guess. Does it clear up with genuine Canon?

bren924

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I did swap out the black for a genuine Canon cartridge, but no change. And to be honest, I've been using the G&G cartridges for over a year with no issues up until now. I wonder if maybe it is just a bad batch of cartridges causing this?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
From your closeups it looks more like dirty paper feed rollers than an ink delivery problem.

bren924

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I will certainly look into that.

One thing I noticed last night was that there is little or no problem when printing out normal jobs. Ths only seems to be apparent when printing out photographs on photo paper.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar problem with my IP3000 leaving little marks like this which went away when the remains of a toothpick appeared on top of a printout.No, it wasn't my toothpick.
I can't imagine it was under the head, but must have lingered in the area where the paper emerges.
I might also add that a 'bug' recently fell into my IP5000 (no symptoms yet).

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
if it's the rollers then check by simply running a clear sheet through with a sheet feed. Not there? not the rollers.
Check to see if you can clean or wipe off any stray articles on the nozzle platen.
If the above doesn't help then it would point to an buildup of ink on the nozzle plate during prints. Also check that seals are sealing tight. Otherwise ink would flow too easily to the head but ususally this results in streaks. If all else fails...new head time. Just what Canon designed replaceable heads for.

bren924

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had just replaced the head about a week ago - could that have anything to do with it? It seems to be properly aligned as far as I can tell.

cwl_999

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. I tried cleaning the head, the cartridges, the tracking wheels (or whatever they call those metal shurikens that hold the paper onto the platen). Nothing seems to work.

I finally found out what was causing these specks. A small piece of fluff was stuck to the bottom of the head mechanism. A quick blast of air and q-tips solved it.