Canon cart cross-color contamination: A NEW EXPLANATION

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've had a Canon IP3000 for a couple of years now, and I love (loved...) it dearly. The refillable unchipped carts were the main selling point.

For awhile now, I,ve followed the myriad of threads that dealt with members having trouble with cross-cart contamination. This has recently plagued me as well, to the point that I started looking for a new printer (especially now that chip restters are available for CLI-8 and PGBK-5 ...). To my utter delight, upon checking the local classified ads, I found someone selling a mint IP5000 for 40 bucks. I drove 40 miles right after calling him; to pick it up before anyone else grabbed it. :) NOW... this provided an opportunity for EXPERIMENTATION...

I took the carts directly out of the IP3000 that were always mixing (well, I took the carts that I use during printing. Whenever I finished my printjobs, I'd put another set of "condemned" carts in; ones that had slight contamination already and that I didn't care if they got more contaminated). So, to paraphrase, I took my "good" printing carts from my IP3000, and put them in the IP5000. I ran a few prints, then turned off the printer, and waited 2 hours. This is the "safe" time I had estimated, where I would see any cross contamination without risking contaminated ink wicking completely from the head to the carts. Well, there was no contamination! I took a chance, and left them there over 24hrs. I retried the printer again after that time, and still PERFECT prints.

The second phase of the EXPERIMENT: I had purchased ORIGINAL Canon carts (C,M, Y) for the IP3000 a while back, thinking the G&G carts I'd been using were the source of the problem. SO, I put the new Canon carts into the IP3000, ran a DEEP cleaning cycle, and ran a few prints. They were very good. Again, as with the IP5000, I left the "good" carts in, and left the printer turned off for about 2 hours. I retried printing the Color Purge page, and was astounded. The cyan was purple as was the magenta, and the yellow was bright orange. So out the window goes the theory of leaking refilled carts causing the cross-contamination problem. The results from the IP5000 and the IP3000 are both conclusive that it's just not the case.

It then dawned on me. A while back, I had found a link with instructions on how to completely clean/rejuvenate an IP3000 printhead (or most IPxxxx printheads, for that matter...).I had CAREFULLY dismantled the printhead, flushed it with mildly hot water, and left it disassembled for 2 days to air dry (sandwiched between paper towels to avoid any problems with dust accumulation). It had worked like new at first, but the cross-contamination problem soon returned. HOWEVER, it came to my attention that maybe the gasket seal (between the cart ink conduits, and the ceramic heads substrate) might be the explanation. Although I had been very careful about this step during the dismantling, and even made a meticulous visual inspection after to ensure that there was no damage or tears, the possiblity MIGHT EXIST that the gasket may not be making a proper seal...
THUS... THE INK IS CROSS-CONTAMINATING within THE HEAD ITSELF.
This theory is consistent with the fact that the problem occurs even with original Canon carts, and that carts that do it in the IP3000 don't do it in the IP5000.

Furthermore, this leads to an interesting idea... That this may be what in fact is happening to other users (even if they have never disassembled their printhead). The gasket is (neoprene?) rubber-like; and it is well known that rubber-like things will toughen/harden.

During the next few days, I will again flush the printhead, disassemble it, and try adding a VERY LIGHT sealant on the gaskets (most likely a *very* light coat of Vaseline). I will update this thread when I get the results. :cool:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Sounds about right... dismantling the printhead itself is generally not the best plan of action because of this very problem.

Of course folks like yourself have to find this out the hard way and then warn the folks sitting back and playing it safe so the intel is all useful. I'd be interested to see if the vaseline works or causes more problems such as clogs but I guess we'll see... Either way, good luck and thanks for sharing.

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
Sounds about right... dismantling the printhead itself is generally not the best plan of action because of this very problem.
Hmmm... I'd agree. However, you missed my point. My disassembly of the printhead was not the cause; it was an attempted remedy...:

The Tech said:
Furthermore, this leads to an interesting idea... That this may be what in fact is happening to other users (even if they have never disassembled their printhead). The gasket is (neoprene?) rubber-like; and it is well known that rubber-like things will toughen/harden.
What I was trying to say is that it might be likely that many others who have the cross-contamination problem may be attributed to a badly sealing printhead gasket, just from normal use and without any intervention on their part. ;)

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Tech
Are all three color cartridges mixing and no single cartridge loosing ink level?

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yeah, they're losing levels. The Cyan is the worst. But it happens even with the Canon carts.
The whole thing may be moot... I've noticed a lot of streaking lately, in all colors including pigment black. The head's nozzles are kicking the bucket, I guess.

I tried local retaillers and Ebay, but printheads are cost-prohibitive for this printer. Too bad, because IP3000's in good shape still sell for big bucks on Ebay (actually, any BCI-6 cart printer model does). But I digress...

I cleaned the head and reassembled with a light coat of loc-tite on the gasket (put a drop on my finger, rubbed it against another finger, and then applied to the gasket, ensuring none of it contaminated the holes). Let it dry an hour, then loaded it into the Ip3000 with original Canon carts. The purge pattern is still sadly spiked with cyan "bands" in both the magenta and the yellow.

Oh well, I still have the IP5000! :D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Depending on where you're based you should be able to get a Canon printhead cheap enough if you have an US contacts...

I got a contact of mine in the US to pay me in printhead for the iP4200 and iP4300 recently so I've replete with them at the moment... Cost was around 30 each IIRC..

Worth a try...

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Do not give up on the iP3000 just because of a bad print head.
The thing to do now is leave the 3000 alone before you burn out the head and possibly kill the printer.

There are still good used QY6-0042 print heads for sale cheap.

Where are you located?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Where does the ip3000 print head sit when it is parked? Is it possible that it is seated in a wet (from previous ink) area that creates a channel between different color nozzles ?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
On some Canon printheads the ceramic base shoe cannot be completely removed without risking fatal damage to the ribbon cable. It appears to be installed after the base shoe, during manufacturing.
It is also surprising at how much torque has been applied to the retaining screws.

I would give the average backyard mechanic about a 20% chance of success in regards to dismantling a Canon prithead and getting it working again.

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
jflan said:
On some Canon printheads the ceramic base shoe cannot be completely removed without risking fatal damage to the ribbon cable. It appears to be installed after the base shoe, during manufacturing.
It is also surprising at how much torque has been applied to the retaining screws.

I would give the average backyard mechanic about a 20% chance of success in regards to dismantling a Canon prithead and getting it working again.
I agree. This last time, I retorqued the screws *just* until the point I felt that the plastic it's screwed into would break, in the hope this will provide a better seal on the gasket. And yes, the ribbon cable is tight, but there is enough "give" to remove the ceramic... I imagine a few peeps might even crack the ceramic during this process.

panos said:
Where does the ip3000 print head sit when it is parked? Is it possible that it is seated in a wet (from previous ink) area that creates a channel between different color nozzles ?
Hmmm... I had another idea: there may be a cyan "puddle" of ink at the suction head (where the head parks when not in use). To test this, I've printed purge pages until the colors are clear, then I removed the cyan cart and immediately turned off the printer. I'm going to wait a couple of hours, then turn on the printer, re-insert the cyan cart (to prevent starving the head), and try a purge print page. If there's cyan again in the other colors, it may be an indication that the printer is indeed wicking from the waste/suction area.

To be continued...