Can you setup the Canon MX850 without using the software?

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was reading the network setup manual for this printer, and I was wondering if it was possible to setup this printer through the menu on the printer itself and maybe just install the printer driver? I just don't like to have unnecessary software installed.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If all you want is the driver, You can download just the driver from the Canon site. Or...you can put in the Canon CD, choose "custom" install, and install the option(s) you want.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes, its possible.

Download the driver from Canon's site and extract it on a folder. Connect the printer to the PC (via USB) and turn the printer on. A window will appear asking for the location of the driver. Point it to the driver (where you have extracted your files) or one of its subfolders until the "OK" button is activated. Click OK then. You might need to repeat this one more time.

That's how I am installing drivers for all my devices. Does not install useless files.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I specifically was wondering if the network stuff could be done? I.e. setting the ip address for the printer, setting up the printer port on the computer, etc.