Can I Get a Chip-Resetter to Re-"Label" my Cartridges?

jxsbracey

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8170
I have a Canon MG8170 printer, which we bought in Thailand about 2-3 years ago when we lived there. We have now returned to the UK to discover that we cannot buy the cartridges we need here (PGI-725 (black) and CLI-726 (black, magenta, cyan, yellow and grey)). However, when I searched on-line, I found PGi-525 and CLI-526 cartridges, which claimed to be compatible with my printer model. When they arrived, though, my printer would not recognise them, even though they fitted perfectly and looked identical to the cartridges I had been using, apart from the number. Obviously, the chip is coded differently. What I want to know is can I get a chip resetter that would enable me to reset the chips so that they are recognised as 726 and 725 cartridges? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

jxsbracey

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8170
Hi and welcome, All you need to do is remove the original chips from the CLl-726 set one by one and place them on your newly purchased CLl-526 set and then buy a resetter and everything will work as normal just like new..

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-chip-removal-made-easy.5629/

Thanks for replying so quickly! I should perhaps have said that I already tried transferring the chips, and it appears to have worked for all but the grey cartridge. I get a message about that one saying that the ink level cannot be determined, so please change the cartridge. Would a chip resetter sort that out? If so, do you know where I could get one? Would it need to be one for a MG1870 printer or for the CLI-726 cartridge set?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A chip resetter for PGI-725/CLI-726 cartridges may bring the failing CLI-726 Grey chip back to working order. If not you will need a new CLI-726 Grey cartridge or chip.

There is a chance that a resetter for PGI-725/CLI-726 cartridges can change the European PGI-525/CLI-526 chips into the Asian PGI-725/CLI-726 chips. Here is a report of a successful chip region change from American PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges to European PGI-520/CLI-521 chips, so maybe this will also work for you.

Changing the printer's region from the service menu will lock/unlock CD printing if the printer has this capability and determine what paper format is set as default standard. But changing the printer's region will not change the region of the needed cartridges, this is locked in the printer's firmware.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If you weren't aware already you can get chip resetters for your 725/726 cartridge chips via aliexpress so you at least have the option to reset and refill if needs be.