Brother DCP-115c, possible damage beyond repair

Johnye Bravo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-215c
Hi.
A family member of mine gave me a Brother DCP-115c that was going to be thrown away, I tested it and it worked, but didn't print any colour. I own a Brother MFC-215c for over 9 years now and I've used inexpensive cartridges since I don't remember when with no problem what soever, so I guessed one more Brother was pretty much welcome, specially if it uses the same cartridges!

I decided to take the DCP-115c apart to try and clean the head, I was going to inject warm isopropyl alcohol into the 4 colour tubes up to the head and let it rest overnight (got the idea from the video on this page), but before that I decided to clean the cartridges' holder (don't know if there's a better word for it).

I disconnected the 4 tubes, removed the electronic board (possibly used to detect the presence of the cartridges), removed the plastic membrane from under the holder... oh snap! The plastic membrane was used to direct the ink from the cartridges to the tubes, but I thought there were also tubes under it! Now there's no way to direct the ink into the tubes that lead to the printer's head... here's some pictures:

DSC00103.JPG
plastic membrane

DSC00104.JPG DSC00105.JPG
cartridges holder, tubes to printer head connect on the right side

DSC00108.JPG DSC00107.JPG
"railways" where the ink used to pass through before I removed the membrane

I believe that when assembled in the factory, the plastic was "melted" into the cartridges' holder creating 4 sealed tunnels, because there's no glue in sight and the holder is completely slick (no glue residues). I've been thinking of the best way of fixing it, and the best idea that comes to mind is pick up a cd sleeve, cut it up, and use a heat gun to try to melt it into place. Could this work? Do you have any better ideas?

I know I could buy a used one for as low as 15€, but where's the fun in that? :D

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Get yourself UV curable adhesive (then again it may not bond with your plastic) and try to glue it in place to have a good seal.
UV adhesive cures only on UV light to positioning etc is not a problem, can be cured with money check UV lamp.

Other than that I would use silicone to seal it but it could turn into a mess easily.

Latest posts