Apple to HP 8600 Officejet pro

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
I have an iMac and my wife has a MacBook Pro and right now the iMac is connected via USB to the printer.

My wife is not connected directly to the printer, but she is connected to the same modem/router as I am.

I was thinking about running a usb cable but would rather not unless that is the only choice. (25' cable run.)

We do not use wifi.

In order for her to print she has to turn on my iMac. Is there a better way?

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
hp_officejet_pro_8600_plus_rear_120912487507_640x360.jpg

I think the Officejet Pro 8600 has the Ethernet port for network. So I think you should connect the printer to the router/switch using the cable, then configure the printer ready for network printing (the user manual should have a section for this, I think. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243 p.221). Then, both will connect to the printer over the network, and leave the USB port unused.

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Thanks thanhhuy123
That makes sense as I recall that I used to have the ethernet connected, but I was concerned that the printer would download some software which would render it inoperable. I've had that happen with other Apple stuff (iPhoneIOS updates for instance) (I refill my cartridges also)

If I connect the printer to the ethernet will it update the printer software automatically or do I have to agree?

Thanks for the detail about the USB port being not necessary with the ethernet hookup. Never occurred to me.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
HP printer itself does have something call ePrint, and it will, when set, auto download and update the firmware of the ePrint itself. HP software on the computer also has auto-update to update the program.

In fact, I've never heard HP does the same thing as Epson, that is update firmware to block refillable cart, because HP chip can be used indefinitely without reset (at least on my HP 685 chip).

I found this: http://www.printerfillingstation.com/Refill-Instructions/HP/H03.htm. Looks like it's the same to my printer, that the chip no need reset and can be used forever. Just remember to click "NO", though.

I would still use the ethernet connect, but I will just disable the ePrint totally as I personally don't use it. If you need ePrint then just switch to manual update. As for the software on the computer, I also choose not to auto update. I prefer to manually click the button myself when I need, for anything, not just software update. ;)

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Thanks again thanhhuy123,
I found the utility app and deselected Eprint and Web Security.

I tried to deselect wifi and wireless access point, but it asked for a password. I have no idea what it is and could see no obvious way to find or change it. Any ideas?

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Ah I found out the answer to my question. I just had to go to the printer tools section and reset to factory defaults.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
In fact, I've never heard HP does the same thing as Epson, that is update firmware to block refillable cart, because HP chip can be used indefinitely without reset (at least on my HP 685 chip).
Just on this point, HP did update their firmware on the Officejet Pro-X series of printers to just this. HP970 and 971 cartridge chips that worked with previous firmware versions (prior to sometime around Feb - July of 2015) work fine but anything with the newer version just gets creative with error messages after a single print.

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
Thanks websnail,
So the new cartridges give the problem, or the new printer software?
If software, how do I prevent it downloading?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks websnail,
So the new cartridges give the problem, or the new printer software?
If software, how do I prevent it downloading?
It's the firmware (ie: the code used within the printer itself) not the driver. In that you can at least avoid the issue (for now at least) but not running any firmware updates.

Of course all bets are off if you buy a new machine that has the newer firmware in that causes problems...

Anyway, just to reiterate this is only something we've seen in the Pro-X models for the HP970 / HP971

Latest posts