Anyone got a Canon W6400?

ralph pr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everybody, what a great looking forum.

I have a four year old Canon IP W6400D (Dye) which I use for occasional CAD work - so pretty low usage (architectural drawings are submitted online nowadays and A1 prints aren't essential). Consequently it sits for long periods inert, brooding and taunting me with its huge appetite for ink. Every now and again I load the old photo paper in and print up something big and vulgar to entertain the children and clear its tubes.

I was appalled by the latest Canon cartridge price hike and recently refilled using syringes for the first time. It worked fine but has now given up, just after I have spent a lot of cash on ink from a plausible sounding organisation in Sussex.

No printout and error message E02813 and the demand that I switch off. The users manual has "Replace printhead" for this. I've trawled through your astonishing cleaning forums and am ready to bite the bullet, roll up my sleeves and try not not to drink the cleaning fluid BUT:

HOW DO I GET THE PRINTHEAD OUT?

I can't find the service manual online or on this forum. I can via the users manual "replace Printhead" but I was wondering if there is any manual method to do it while the machine is switched off.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help.

all best

Ralph

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Every Canon printer that I have seen has a lever to the right or the left of the print head that you simply raise up to unlock the print head and then you can lift it out. Of course, you want to remove all the ink cartridges before you raise the lever. It is the grey lever to the right of the print head in this picture:

Print_Head.JPG

ralph pr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
6620_p1000014.jpg

Thanks for coming back so quickly. The problem is getting the printhead carriage out into the open; on shut down it hides in the cave behind the cartridges. I don't know if the image has uploaded right but what it shows is my grubby finger pointing into said cave.

Is there some ratchet that allows the carriage to be released and slid by hand into the open?

Here is the printhead hiding in its shameful hole; the belt can't be moved by hand unless there is a release somewhere.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have never seen a printer like this. I presume the ink cartridges are stationary as shown in your picture off to the right?

When you open the cover, does the print head move to the center, even momentarily? If so, you could unplug it while it is in the act, but I have no idea whether this could have any adverse affects. I'm more of a novice regarding this printer than you are.

ralph pr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
No it doesn't let you in while the cover is up. I could try disengaging the switches on the cover lock and catch it before the carriage whizzes back.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This is the first time that I see a Canon with the print head separated from the ink cartridges like a CIS. Brother uses this design on most (if not all) Brother printers.

I used to have a Brother AIO. I tried take the print head out. It was a mess. Then, I got my MX850.

Try to get the service manual for your printer before working on it.

Did a quick search on this printer... I can see why the CIS system is used in this high end large format printer

simg_t_ms2793565f95dac4a868548618917bc68ebf58756jpg175

hammie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
maybe a bit late to add: If you press the online button to switch it offline, the display should read FeedPaper. Press and hold the left cursor. The printhead moves to middle of the print area and the lid unlocks.