A simple tip when buying printers.....Epson/Canon Product End Means stock UP!

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been buying Canon printers for years. I started with the IP 4300, 4500, 4700 and now the MG series.

Some things I have noticed with pricing. When Canon introduces a new printer it comes in the market at full price. [150 Canadian in my case]

We know that each new printer isn't necessarily new features but just a DRM change on the chips, plus new methods to thwart refilling.

This becomes annoying, because all your DRM broken tools become useless. Refillable cartridges, resetters etc. etc.

However many times I've kicked myself for not buying a printer when it hits the $49.99 or $59.99 price range when they begin to blow out the old stock to make way for the new models.

If you're in the market for new printer, keep an eye out for the current models to go on clearance. [I usually keep an eye on Staples]

The minute they go on clearance, go and get a few of them. You may have to buy new reset tools or refillable cartridges, but if you bought a few with them, when one dies you just transfer the refillable cartridges to one of the backup printers. The beauty of buying these printers on clearance also means that their DRM has already been cracked.

The worst-case scenario, if you don't use these printers, is they become valuable as new printers are ushered in and refillers look for the older models. An IP 4300 goes for crazy money if it's brand-new in box.

And if you don't want to sell the whole printer, you can sell the printhead on eBay and get the bulk of your money back. I highly advise, if your printhead dies in one printer Do not use a printhead from your backup in the printer whose printhead has just died.

On the off chance the printer has issues it may kill the new print head or vice versa. An old printhead in a new printer may kill the new printer. [Lookup printhead of doom]

Just some experiences I thought I'd share with you.

tl:dr when a $150 hits $49 or $59, it's being cleared out, buy lots.

Latest posts