Question about Chips: CLI-42 Carts

Picard

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I had always thought that the chip from one color cartridge couldn't be installed onto a different color cartridge. Recently my brother mis-inserted two of his cartridges the PM and M and never realized it, nor, apparently did the printer either. This leads me to the conclusion that ANY chip is good on ANY cartridge. What am I missing?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s a new one on me.. Never heard that before..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Neither have I. If I accidently inserted a chipped cartridge in a wrong place I have always got an error message that a cartridge cannot be recognized. I thought that magenta and photo magenta probably used the same chip. I had a photo magenta CLI-8 cartridge, so I tried to insert that in an MP800 instead of the regular magenta. I got an error message and the red light on the photo magenta cartridge didn't com on.

So something must be special for the CLI-42 cartridges?

See this, click to enlarge:

MP800 PM test a.jpg

And this, click to enlarge:

MP800 PM test b.jpg

Picard

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
This is on my brother's printer. He reported whacked out colors showing up on his print all of a sudden. I reported the incident in another thread. I am 5 hours from him so I couldn't put eyeballs on the problem and we attempted to troubleshoot over the phone. I had him purchase OEM carts, and while installing them, he discovered his error. So I am not 100% sure and only have what he's telling me. I originally suspected he was just simply using crap inks, but once he told me he had PM and M switched, I assume that was indeed the issue. Of course, there are now no issues with the OEM's installed. Pro-100, CLI-42.s
EDIT: Now that I look back at his printhead test image, I NOW see that the PM and M rectangles are switched! I didn't notice it previously but you can see it in the other thread if you care to look. The M is the upper one and the PM is the lower one, but you can clearly see that's not the case.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You never know with Non-OEM Chips. Maybe they made a universal CLI-42 chip? It might be possible. Here is a scan of a CLI-x51 Y refillable cartridge with an ARC chip. It seems to be universal for all 8 Canon regions, click to enlarge:

CLI-x51Y.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but you can see it in the other thread if you care to look. The M is the upper one and the PM is the lower one, but you can clearly see that's not the case.
If that’s the case then get him to check the photo cyan and cyan too…

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
You never know with Non-OEM Chips. Maybe they made a universal CLI-42 chip? It might be possible. Here is a scan of a CLI-x51 Y refillable cartridge with an ARC chip. It seems to be universal for all 8 Canon regions, click to enlarge:

View attachment 15890
If the chip in my cartridge is the original one the chips in that cartridge is still region specific(had to swap from 351 to 651)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes an OEM chip transferred to a third party cartridge is still an OEM chip and still region specific. But the chips om my refillable third party cartridges are not OEM but third party ARC and claimed to be non region specific.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Yes an OEM chip transferred to a third party cartridge is still an OEM chip and still region specific. But the chips om my refillable third party cartridges are not OEM but third party ARC and claimed to be non region specific.
Sorry what i meant was the chip in that style of refillable cartridge with that labeling could still be region specific(atleast if the ARC that was installed at the time i needed 651 cartridges were the originals that came with the refillable cartridge - Had run 2 x51 printers of differing regions at one point so it could have been a swapped ARC).

Last edited: