New member to Printer Knowledge

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840
Just a quick hello to everyone. I look forward to learning the answers to some of my questions which have been very difficult to find through simple searches online. Maybe I'm just not very good as using keywords...haha.

Cheers from Ontario Canada!
Tyler

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
Welcome to PK! A lot of printer gurus here! I see you have WF-7840. Just make sure not to update the firmware and you should be fine with aftermarket refillable cartridge unless you have newer printer with newer firmware! The nice thing about this printer is everyone have the the more ideal refillable cartridge with minimal damper/siphoning setup.

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Welcome to PK! A lot of printer gurus here! I see you have WF-7840. Just make sure not to update the firmware and you should be fine with aftermarket refillable cartridge unless you have newer printer with newer firmware! The nice thing about this printer is everyone have the the more ideal refillable cartridge with minimal damper/siphoning setup.
Thanks and yes I'm aware of the firmware issue. But I don't want to use aftermarket ink or ink cartridges. I would like to use/modify the original Epson OEM cartridges that came in the printer and buy Epson "ink tank" ink to refill those cartridges. The biggest reason is print quality and less print head clogging.

Also...my printer uses "pigment" and not dye ink and the Epson Eco ink tank refill bottles are also pigment...so I'm thinking it would be a good fit?

Thanks for your help!

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson cartridge has not been modifiable since the last decade unless you have the Pro series with ink bag. You only option is aftermarket with Epson. You are welcome to explore and teach us on your success or failure. From my research, WF-7840 has no chip resetter or auto reset chip. You have to keep buying one time use chip. For chipless solution, you are looking at spending +$300 for chip programmer, programming and soldering: not worth it. The printhead on PrecisionCore are absolute junk in term of clog and failure due to their high nozzle count per channel and compactness and smaller nozzle. WF-7840 was recent onsale for $145 new and I still turn it down. Try to buy a WF-7720/WF-7620 where you can still get chipless solution ( $30) or using arc. I am current buying x3 printhead from a reputable buyer in china for my WF-7720. Like I said earlier, the only nice thing with WF-7840 is the better design of aftermarket cartridge. My have been hunting for better design of aftermarket cartridge for my WF-7720 since 2018. I am getting a shipment today to confirm that today! In addition, if my printhead order goes well with all good printheads, I will share the name of the seller on Ebay. Else, get Canon Maxify 2xxx series or 5xxxx series. You can use OEM carts for those Maxify.

Last edited:

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson cartridge has not been modifiable since the last decade unless you have the Pro series with ink bag. You only option is aftermarket with Epson. You are welcome to explore and teach us on your success or failure. From my research, WF-7840 has no chip resetter or auto reset chip. You have to keep buying one time use chip. For chipless solution, you are looking at spending +$300 for chip programmer, programming and soldering: not worth it. The printhead on PrecisionCore are absolute junk in term of clog and failure due to their high nozzle count per channel and compactness and smaller nozzle. WF-7840 was recent onsale for $145 new and I still turn it down. Try to buy a WF-7720/WF-7620 where you can still get chipless solution ( $30) or using arc. I am current buying x3 printhead from a reputable buyer in china for my WF-7720. Like I said earlier, the only nice thing with WF-7840 is the better design of aftermarket cartridge. My have been hunting for better design of aftermarket cartridge for my WF-7720 since 2018. I am getting a shipment today to confirm that today! In addition, if my printhead order goes well with all good printheads, I will share the name of the seller on Ebay. Else, get Canon Maxify 2xxx series or 5xxxx series. You can use OEM carts for those Maxify.
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I already bought the WF-7840 so I will need to keep looking for a solution to reset the 812 cartridges. So far I've not found anything. If all else fails I will have to use the generic ink cartridges and ink.

Cheers
Tyler

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've spent hours looking for a solution but since I just received the 7840 from Amazon I'm thinking to return it and buy a different model. Can't find any of the 7720/7620 models...argh.

I really like the features of the 7740...do you know of a similar Epson model offering close to the same features?

Here's the Canon Maxify model I found..
https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-MB5120-...efix=canon+maxify+printer,aps,108&sr=8-2&th=1

Also this one...
https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-MB2120-...1&sprefix=canon+maxify+printer,aps,108&sr=8-1

Thanks for your thoughts!
Tyler

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
For 7720 and 7620, they do not make it anymore. WF-7720/7710 translate to WF-7840/7820 respectively: the numbering changes for some reason. You can get 7720/7620 easily on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Most likely the printhead is clogged and unrecoverable. I am buying a few printhead to replace it. I think I have found a reliable seller but will confirm late next week or so.

You only get the Epson if you need the wide format printing (13x19) and large scanner (11x17) ~$75. WF-3640/3620 are for 8.5x11 ~$40.

Maxify 2xxx (no duplex ADF) series (e.g. 2320) goes around $50 and Maxify 5xxx (with duplex ADF) series goes around $100 on local listing.

I guess if you need the printer now, then just use what you can get your hands onto! Else take your time shopping!

On a side note, I recently ordered 252XL no prime cartridges from Ebay but received priming cartridge set: waste of time! Last night I just repacked and ready to send it back. I just noticed InkOwl new refillable line up has very good design 252XL no prime cartridge. Same goes for Maxify refillable with pressurized cartridge (no vent with pressurization)! Cartridges on printhead are pretty easy to design and not sure why the chinese struggle so much with it! They are still figuring it out after a decade! Multi-chamber is great for stationary cart due to no agitation. Cart on printhead already have plenty agitation so why the multichamber? Need to design to minimize agitation instead to reduce bubble and air intake!

Last edited:

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ya...I'm returning the 7740 printer to Amazon. I'm not going to buy a "used" printer and will buy new. At least with new it "should" offer me some trouble free operation for a while at least. I don't know a lot about printers and don't want to spend time changing printheads or doing other mods.

At this moment I don't think I will buy an ink-tank model since most of the "affordable" one are basically older model printers and technology that are simply modified with added tanks by the manufacturer and then a person ends up paying $400 - $500 for a $99 printer! Nope...not willing to do that.

Some printers are years old but are still being sold by the manufacturers...though they might not be actually making them any longer and are just get rid of what they have until they're gone...whatever. I don't know how all that works but I have no issues buying an older tech printer as long as it's brand new. Actually buying an older tech ink cartridge printer that's brand new usually offers a much lower price with more features than their newest models costing big bucks. And from my research the ink tank printers waste a lot of ink and the printheads clog just the same as the ink cartridges anyway.

I'm willing to spend up to $300 Canadian {where you from?} and don't care if I buy a Brother, Canon, Epson or HP. All have their pros and cons. So...I will do the Amazon return today and start my search for another printer.

As much as I like all the features on the 7840 I don't really need all of them. My "must haves" list is pretty short and I don't print many photos but when I do print a photo I just want decent quality. Sometimes I even laminate my photos to help make them a bit more durable...whatever.

So ya....full duplex...decent resolution scanner/printer...able to handle at least 8.5 x 14 legal size paper for both printing/scanning with auto paper feeder...anything more than that would be a bonus!

I would really like to find a cartridge printer where the original OEM cartridges can be modified and be refilled with OEM original manufactured ink they sell for the ink-tank printers. My reason is simple..."quality" ink!

Of all the printers I've owned in the past 25 plus years, NONE of the generic replacement ink cartridges/ink refill kits have ever came close to the same quality printing as what the manufactured OEM ink and cartridges can do...especially with photos.

Anyway...thanks again for your thoughts and all the best!
Tyler