CLI-42 "EU ONLY" Cartridges

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have a set of empty Cli-42 cartridges. Does this matter if used on my Pro-100?
It may have something to do with how you discard the cartridges?

Last edited:

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Hat! That was my guess. But before I flushed 8 of these, I thought I'd ask.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I remember that this topic has been discussed before, There have been guesses about tax, customs, trade or environmental reasons for the marking. I think is that this guess by @mikling is right and it is caused by stricter environmental regulations in the EU than in other parts of the world. So the cartridges are identical except for the labeling and are region independent.

I guess these rules were introduced sometime between the introduction of the CLI-521 and CLI-526 cartridges. See this and notice the waste symbol and the Canon Europe N.V. marking on the CLI-526 cartridge, click to enlarge:

Canon wastesymbol 3.jpg

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I remember that this topic has been discussed before, There have been guesses about tax, customs, trade or environmental reasons for the marking. I think is that this guess by @mikling is right and it is caused by stricter environmental regulations in the EU than in other parts of the world. So the cartridges are identical except for the labeling and are region independent.

I guess these rules were introduced sometime between the introduction of the CLI-521 and CLI-526 cartridges. See this and notice the waste symbol and the Canon Europe N.V. marking on the CLI-526 cartridge, click to enlarge:

View attachment 15901
Yes, that's why I mentioned a possible issue with "discarding" in my post.
Turns out I have one "EU" cartridge in one of my refilled sets with PC SE inks and it works fine. Never had noticed that marking before.
So, all is well! Thanks.